Willoughby Lake is the deepest lake in the area, making for lots of different stories, some true and some maybe not. Either way it is surrounded with mysteries. Picturesque Willoughby Gap supports two mountains (Mt. Pisgah and Mt. Hor) for hiking or ice climbing and each offers spectacular views from the top. Scuba divers love to explore the depths of Willoughby Lake, swimmers enjoy the cleanliness, boaters enjoy the expanse and fishermen enjoy the record size fish. There are three beaches for entertainment; one nice sandy beach is located at the north end of the lake which is the largest and most popular and the other two are at the south end. One is a family beach across the road from White Caps Campground (http://www.whitecapscampground.com/) and the other, for those so inclined, is a nudist beach. For rentals and restaurant try the Willoughvale Inn and Cottages (www.willoughvale.com).
- Type: Glacial lake
- Towns located within: Westmore
- Acres: 1653
- Maximum Depth: Over 300 feet
- Elevation: 1169 feet
- Public beach: 2
- VT Fish & wildlife public boat launch
- Boating restrictions: no jet skis or personal watercraft
- Restrooms: Summer and winter
- Species: Rainbow, Brown and Lake Trout, Landlocked Salmon, Yellow Perch and Rainbow Smelt
- Fishing Seasons run from the 2nd Saturday in April to October 31st and the 3rd Saturday in January to March 15th. For more information go to: vtfishandwildlife.com
There are many recreational activities to do in the area including; swimming, fishing, ice fishing, boating, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, snowmobiling, skiing, hunting, museums & biking. Also be sure to check out the wildlife such as Moose, Deer, Turkeys, Loons, Kingfishers, migrating birds and other small mammals.
Nearby Lakes and Ponds
Below please view all properties listed for sale on Willoughby Lake: